Zach's Portfolio

December 27, 2010

Dialectical Journals: Great Gatsby

Filed under: Uncategorized @ 9:35 am and

Chapter 2

Quote Response, Analyze, and Evaluation
“’ Doesn’t her husband object?’

‘Wilson? He thinks she goes to see her sister in New York. He’s so dumb he doesn’t know he’s alive.’”

Response: I felt that it was rude for Tom to say that about Mr. Wilson.

Analyze: This is an example of a hyperbole that shows the mean side of Tom Buchanan and also shows that Mr. Wilson is dumb.

Evaluation: This hyperbole helps readers understand that Mr. Wilson wasn’t very well educated.

“We drove over to Fifth Avenue, so warm and soft, almost pastrol, on the Summer Sunday afternoon that I wouldn’t have been surprised to see a great flock of white sheep turn the corner.” (28) Response: I felt as if Nick felt that New York was calm and beautiful that day.

Analyze: This quote is explaining what Nick thought the day looked like. He thought it was beautiful and almost rural enough that he could picture sheep in the city.

Evaluation: This quote helps show how Nick views the world.

“‘My dear,’ she told her sister in a high, mincing shout, ‘most of these fellas will cheat you every time. All they think of is money. I had a woman up here last week to look at my feet, and when she gave me the bill you’d of thought she had my appendicitis out.’” (31) Response: I felt that this quote shows social classes.

Analyze: During the 1920’s there were upper, middle, and lower classes of people.

Evaluation: Everything during this time was expensive and everybody was trying to make a living.

“‘Daisy! Daisy! Daisy!’ shouted Mrs. Wilson. ‘I’ll say it whenever I want to! Daisy! Dai—‘

Making a short deft movement, Tom Buchanan broke her nose with his open hand.’” (37)

Response: I felt that Tom did have a reason to be mad at Mrs. Wilson for mentioning his wife but was harsh when it make to breaking her nose.

Analyze: Earlier, Mrs. Wilson was talking about Tom’s wife and why she was holding him back.

Evaluation: This quote shows that Tom still has feelings for his wife even though he cheated on her.

Chapter 3

Quote Response, Analyze, and Evaluation
“There was music from my neighbor’s house through the summer nights. In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars.” (39) Response: I felt that this simile shows how the people acted during the party.

Analyze: There were many people wandering about having many conversations in the house then in the garden.

Evaluation: This gives an idea of how the guests acted at Gatsby’s house.

“He had seen me several times, and had intended to call on me long before, but a peculiar combination of circumstances had prevented it—signed Jay Gatsby, in a majestic hand.”  (41) Response: I think this is foreshadowing about Gatsby.

Analyze: When “a peculiar combination of circumstances” is mentioned, this gives a hint that Gatsby might be up to something.

Evaluation: This may give an incite of what is going to happen later in the book.

“‘Your face is familiar,’ he said, politely. ‘Weren’t you in the Third Division during the war?’

‘Why, yes. I was in the ninth machine-gun battalion.’

‘I was in the Seventh Infantry until June nineteen-eighteen. I knew I’d seen you somewhere before.’” (47)

Response: I felt that this was character development for Nick and Gatsby.

Analyze: It is discovered that Nick and Gatsby were both in the army and they both knew each other but not each others names.

Evaluation: This gives a base for a relationship between Nick and Gatsby.

“Every one suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known.” (59) Response: I felt that Nick felt that everybody lies and is fake.

Analyze: Nick was talking about carelessness with Jordan Baker and told her the truth that she was a bad driver.

Evaluation: This can also be seen as character development. Nick is an honest person.

Chapter 4

Quotes Response, Analyze, and Evaluate
“‘I was promoted to be a major, and every Allied government gave me a decoration—even Montenegro, little Montenegro down on the Adriatic See!’” (66) Response: I felt as if this was character development for Gatsby.

Analyze: Gatsby was talking about in way trying to kill himself by joining the army and he instead did really well and was in a way, disappointed.

Evaluate: This helps us understand how Gatsby is somewhat disappointed with his life.

“‘This is Mr. Gatsby, Mr. Buchanan.”

They shook hands briefly, and a strained, unfamiliar look of embarrassment came over Gatsby’s face.’” (74)

Response: I felt that this part of the book was foreshadowing.

Analyze: The way Gatsby reacted after meeting Tom could give the impression that he has met Tom before and doesn’t like him or knows him and doesn’t like something he has done.

Evaluate: This part gives an incite between the relationship that Gatsby and Tom have.

“’ I was a bridesmaid. I came into her room half an hour before the bridal dinner, and found her lying on her bed as lovely as the June night in her flowered dress—and as drunk as a monkey.’” Response: This quote exhibits foreshadowing and a simile.

Analyze: The foreshadowing is if the reason why Daisy got drunk will be explained. The simile is comparing how beautiful Daisy looked to a June night.

Evaluate: The foreshadowing will provide information about why Daisy was drunk and the simile helps show how beautiful Daisy looked even though she was drunk.

“Well, about six weeks ago, she heard the name Gatsby for the first time in years. It was then I asked you—do you remember?—if you knew Gatsby in West Egg.” Response: This literary element is known as a flashback. I felt that when Nick repeated this, that Daisy must have known Gatsby at one point in her life.

Analyze: This shows that Daisy has an interest as to which Gatsby Nick was talking about.

Evaluate: The flashback helps show something specific that the reader needs to remember.

Chapter 5

Quote Response, Analyze, Evaluate
“‘You’re acting like a little boy,’ I broke out impatiently.” (88) Response: This shows how immature Gatsby was acting.

Analyze: Gatsby started to freak out after his first time seeing Daisy in years.

Evaluate: This helps show the reader that even though Gatsby is rich and powerful, he is still a little kid on the inside.

“After half an hour, the sun shone again, and the grocer’s automobile rounded Gatsby’s drive with the raw materials for his servants’ dinner—I felt sure he wouldn’t eat a spoonful.” (88) Response: This quote shows two things. It compares how Gatsby feels with the rain and how Gatsby’s previous nervousness was going to affect his eating habbits.

Analyze: The rain symbolizes how the conversation between Gatsby and Daisy was going. The rain clears up when their conversation became less awkward. Nick was thinking back to how nervous Gatsby was to see Daisy again and was thinking that he probably won’t eat anything tonight because he was so worked up.

Evaluate: The rain helps symbolize the conversation between Gatsby and Daisy so the reader can know how it was going while Nick was outside. Mentioning Gatsby not eating that night is an attempt to trick the reader into thinking that Gatsby is still nervous.

“‘I want you and Daisy to come over to my house,’ he said, ‘I’d like to show her around.’

‘You’re sure you want me to come?’

‘Absolutely, old sport.’” (89)

Response: I felt that Gatsby was using Nick as somebody that would help keep things from not getting too awkward between Gatsby and Daisy when they go over to his house.

Analyze: Since Nick knows both Gatsby and Daisy, him going over to Gatsby’s house with them will help keep the feeling mellow and neutral.

Evaluate: Nick wants to leave them alone but Gatsby would feel more at ease if Nick went with him and Daisy.

“It had seemed as close as a star to the moon.” (93) Response: I felt that this quote helps convey the distance between Gatsby and Daisy across the water.

Analyze: Gatsby and Daisy aren’t too far apart but there is still a vast amount of water between them as there is a vast amount of space between a star and the moon.

Evaluate: This quote helps explain why Gatsby was holding his arms out to the green light on Daisy’s dock.

Chapter 6

Quote Response, Analyze, Evaluate
“‘I’m delighted to see you,’ said Gatsby, standing on his porch. ‘I’m delighted that you dropped in.’

As though they cared!” (101)

Response: I felt that the reason Tom and his friends went over to Gatsby’s house was to intimidate him a little bit.

Analyze: When Nick thinks, “As though they cared!” gives the reader the thought that the reason they came to Gatsby’s was to confront him.

Evaluate: This quote lets the reader know that Nick has an idea of what is going on how nicely Gatsby responds shows how good of a person he is.

“Mr. Sloane murmured something close to her ear.” (103) Response: I felt that this shows that Mr. Sloane doesn’t like Gatsby and was trying to tell the lady that he didn’t want anything to do with Gatsby.

Analyze: A reader can assume from this that Mr. Sloane may know something about Gatsby’s reputation.

Evaluate: This quote shows how Gatsby may come off to to other people.

“But evidently the sound of it pleased Gatsby, for Tom remained ‘the polo player’ for the rest of the evening.” (105) Response: I felt that this shows Gatsby’s caring for other people.

Analyze: Daisy and Tom probably felt a little intimidated being around celebrities at Gatsby’s party so whenever Gatsby would talk about Tom, he would mention that he is a polo player. This gave Tom something to talk about even though he tried to rid of what Gatsby said right away.

Evaluate: This shows that Gatsby is still a caring person to the man that married his one true love.

“‘Some big bootlegger?’

‘Where’d you hear that?’ I inquired.

‘I didn’t hear it. I imagined it. A lot of these newly rich people are just big bootleggers, you know.’

‘Not Gatsby,’ I said shortly.”

Response: I felt that this quote shows Tom’s jealousy towards Gatsby.

Analyze: Tom insinuates that Gatsby must be a bootlegger just because he is a newly rich guy.

Evaluate: Tom calling Gatsby a bootlegger gave Nick the chance to stand up for Gatsby. This shows the growing relationship between Gatsby and Nick.

Chapter 7

Quote Response, Analyze, Evaluate
“‘She doesn’t look like her father,’ explained Daisy. ‘She looks like me. She’s got my hair and shape of the face.’” (117) Response: I felt that this quote shows how little she wants to think of Tom.

Analyze: Daisy has fallen back in love with Gatsby and Daisy suspects that Tom is talking to his mistress at the time she said this.

Evaluate: Daisy having these feelings about Tom helps build for what may be the climax.

“She had told him that she loved him, and Tom Buchanan saw. He was astounded.” (119) Response: I felt that Tom felt that he just figured out the ugly truth.

Analyze: Tom had suspicions about Gatsby and Daisy but finally seeing it with his own eyes really hurt him.

Evaluate: This quote shows how much the love between Gatsby and Daisy has grown and how careless they have become with showing their love for each other.

“Tom was feeling ho whips of panic. His wife and his mistress, until an hour ago secure and inviolate, were slipping precipitately from his control.” (125) Response: Tom is the type of person who needs to be in control of things.

Analyze: Tom just figured out for sure that his wife has fallen in love with Gatsby and he just realized that his mistress is moving away. Both things he cannot control.

Evaluate: This quote helps show what kind of a person Tom is.

“‘Even alone I can’t say I never loved Tom,’ she admitted in a pitiful voice. ‘It wouldn’t be true.’” (133) Response: This quote shows that Daisy is confused.

Analyze: When Gatsby tells Tom that Daisy doesn’t love him anymore, Daisy tells them that she loves both Tom and Gatsby.

Evaluate: This quote shows that Daisy isn’t sure what she wants.

Chapter 8

Quote Response, Analyze, Evaluate
“I felt that I had something to tell him, something to warn him about, and morning would be too late.” (147) Response: Nick cares about the well being of Gatsby.

Analyze: Nick is afraid that something might happen to Gatsby and he needed to tell him that he should probably leave for a little bit.

Evaluate: This shows that Nick cares about Gatsby and that this quote is foreshadowing.

“She wanted her life shaped now, immediately—and the decision must be made by some force—of love, of money, of unquestionable practicality—that was close at hand.” (151) Response: This shows the qualities Daisy was looking for in a man.

Analyze: With Gatsby poor and at the war, he could not fill any of Daisy’s requirements.

Evaluate: Daisy needing stability in her life and rushing into something shows how she ends up with Tom.

“‘Of course she might have loved him just for a minute, when they were first married—and loved me more even then, do you see?’” (152) Response: I think that Gatsby is afraid of facing the fact that Daisy loved both him and Tom.

Analyze: Gatsby asks Nick “…do you see?” to try to make himself feel better about what he was thinking wasn’t crazy.

Evaluate: This shows that Gatsby wants to not believe in what the truth is.

George said, “I have a way of finding out.” (158) Response: I think this is foreshadowing.

Analyze: George repeats himself several times that he has a way of finding out who killed his wife. He also states that the man that killed her did it on purpose.

Evaluate: This foreshadowing shows the reader that George is going to find Gatsby.

Chapter 9

Quote Response, Analyze, Evaluate
“It was a photograph of the house, cracked in the corners and dirty with many hands.” (172) Response: This shows that Gatsby still had a connection with his father.

Analyze: The description of the picture being dirty shows that Mr. Gatz was proud of his son and liked to show off to other people how successful he was.

Evaluate: Even though Gatsby changed his name and didn’t have a constant connection with his father, his father was still proud of him.

“GENERAL RESOLVES” (173) Response: This shows that Gatsby worked for what he wanted even when he was a boy.

Analyze: Gatsby created a schedule and rules for himself to help put him in the right direction of life he wanted.

Evaluate: Gatsby knew what he wanted at a young age and tried very hard to work for it.

“ ‘I went to give up that flat and saw that damn box of dog biscuits sitting on the sideboard, I sat down and cried like a baby.’” (179) Response: I think Tom tells Nick this to show Nick that the accident affected him too.

Analyze: Tom told George that Gatsby hit Mertyle. Tom thought that Gatsby had it coming for him.

Evaluate: This shows that Tom wants to show Nick that what happened affected him too.

“They were careless people, Tom and Daisy—they smashed up things and creatures and them retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made…” (179) Response: This helps explain why Tom and Daisy act the way they do.

Analyze: Tom and Daisy think that money can fix anything so they go out and do whatever they want and always know that money and other people will take care of what they destroyed.

Evaluate: This quote helps show why what Tom did, he thinks is completely justified.

6 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post.TrackBack URI